Thursday 27 June 2013

A day at the BBC Good Food Show

So, my trip to the NEC in Birmingham the other week was my first ever foray to the BBC Good Food Show. I 'd heard and read lots about the show of course, but it was so interesting to go, see and try for myself.

As I entered the huge hall, I noticed lots of drinks stands.....



serving wines from all around the world....and they'd come from even as far as New Zealand...

All, well mostly all, were tempting passers by with a tot or too...some made sure their customers sat down for the hard sell before handing out free samples



There were drinks of all kinds....





and at every stall, there were crowds necking down two or three samples from each stand. At eleven o clock in the morning....who would be drivng home I wondered...

The one drink that did delight and surprise was Harrington Gin, distilled just across the border from me in Northampton.
I'm not a gin connoisseur ...I use cheap gin to make my own sloe, damson and raspberry gin each summer and autumn. (for my brilliant raspberry gin recipe see here ... http://thinkingofthedays.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/gin-fuelled-days.html.  )
and yes, I've had a little fling with Bombay Sapphire...but this is something else. Taking the tiniest sip at a time...the fresh, clean smell waved itself under my nose, but  I could taste cardamon , then as the gin warmed in my mouth, there was the faintest taste of toffee...This one drink which will never be tainted with tonic I can tell you. Well not in my house anyway! And to think it's distilled only a few miles away from here....


On other stands, some sophisticates were starting with oysters...




many were wolfing down some of the wide range of sausages, hams, salamis, pasties and pies on offer....these were the prettiest pies I saw...



Other fancied the tarts.....

Before ending with some of Tom's fudge. This fudge is legendary in Leicestershire..run by three guys all called Tom who met at Loughborough University.In fact I watched quite a few people making a return trip to the stall before going home..I have to confirm that this fudge is absolutely delicious........


Obviously you expect to taste, try and eat at this show...I was enjoying myself and bought quite a few bits and pieces after trying them ....the gluten free sausages from Pig and Co were a huge hit, especially the Mostly merguez and walnut and fig sausages, a few pies etc, the gin,  but seeing some people swooping in, elbowing others out of the way...and then hoovering up as many free bites as they could....was enlightening , if not entertaining.

At least they were keeping their energy levels up I suppose - but it's amazing watching people grazing in such an ad hoc way. I would have felt quite nauseous if I'd eaten some strong cheese, a cupcake, a hot pork pie, some chocolate, washed down with toffee vodka, wine and liqueurs in the space of 20 minutes....

After visiting all the stands, I managed to grab a chair and watch a demonstration....I'd just missed this year's Masterchef Champion , Natalie Coleman, but I did see Dale Williams , one  of the finalists.


 
Watching the demo,  realised how, for modern day chefs, being able to cook and create isn't enough. They all have be able to do a turn, be photogenic, keep up the patter ready for their opportunity to shine on the telly ...to satisfy the wonderful growth of interest in cooking .
 
As I made my way out of the food hall, I saw many of the grazers and swoopers staggering out of the  NEC with billowing carrier bags full of food and drinks....they weren't going to go hungry on the way home either ....
 
 
 Tonight's track is by Kathryn Williams...who has one of the purest voices I've heard. She is amazing to watch live...and a lovely person to interview. She's doing a tour in September....I shall definitely be going to see her perform. ...I've been drinking a glass of wine listening to this tonight watching the summer rain on the windowpanes....
Here's "Come with me" with Neill Maccoll
 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you - some people must have strong stomachs to cope with grazing like this. And how can they really enjoy anything, when they throw things down their throats in such variety?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know....but it was merely an observation...I'm not criticising ....and I did taste quite a few things myself....but I walked around most of the stalls first ...and then went back to the ones I was tempted to taste at!

    ReplyDelete